Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.
The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers.
By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.
A custard puff pastry is a dessert made with choux pastry dough and a filling such as whipped cream, custard, or ice cream. The light, airy pastry dough pairs with the heavier dairy product to make a rich, dense, flavorful dessert which is often dressed with chocolate or caramel sauce.
Custard Puff Pastry
Ingredients for Puff Pastry:
- 225 grams Cake flour
- 4 pieces large Eggs
- 270 grams Water
- 125 grams Butter
- 13 grams White sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
Ingredients for Custard Filling:
- 6 pieces large Egg yolks
- 300 ml Thickened/heavy/whipping cream
- 1 can Condensed milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean or vanilla extract
Ingredient to finish the Custard Puff Pastry:
- 100 grams Dark chocolate melts
Instructions for Puff Pastry:
- In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the butter, sugar, salt and water.
- Boil for few seconds to melt the butter and gradually add the cake flour.
- Keep stirring and cook the mixture till it becomes a non sticky paste.
- Place the paste into the mixing bowl and turn the mixer on low speed to mix slowly till the smoke is reduced and it cooled down.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Pause the mixer and scrape the bottom and the sides of the bowl down then turn the mixer on high speed for about a minute.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag.
- Prepare the baking tray with a non stick baking paper and stick with a few dots of the mixture to ensure it does not slide around when piping.
- Pipe the preferred size of your puff pastry and touch the tips (spike) with a wet finger to flatten down the little tips.
- Bake in a preheated oven 200°C (390°F) for 25 to 30 minutes or till golden brown in color.
- Times may vary depending on your oven.
- Once the puffs have a golden brown color, put the temperature down to 175°C (350°F).
- Open the oven door slightly and let the puffs sit in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- This is to avoid the puffs to collapse.
- After 5 minutes, take the puffs out of the oven and let them cool down before adding the filling.
Instructions for Custard Filling:
- In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the egg yolks, condensed milk, thickened cream and vanilla bean or vanilla extract.
- Keep stirring and cook till thick and sticky.
- Remove from the heat once cooked and thick.
- Let the filling cooled down before transferring into the piping bag with a Bismarck nozzle.
- Insert the end of the nozzle into the puffs to fill with custard filling.
To melt the Dark chocolate:
- Place the Dark chocolate melts in the microwave for 20 seconds or melt with a double boiler.
- Remove from the microwave and stir.
- Do the same process till the chocolate is completely melted.
To finish the Custard Puff Pastry:
- Dip the top of the puffs into the melted chocolate.
- The Custard puffs are ready to eat or you may want to chill them in the refrigerator before you serve. Enjoy!!
OTHER CUSTARD RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE TO CHECK OUT