Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.
The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers.
By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.
This tiramisu cake is made of a sponge vanilla cake soaked with coffee syrup, topped with cream cheese frosting, and dusted with cocoa powder. Just like classic tiramisu but in a cake form!
– Tiramisu Sponge Cake –
Ingredients for Sponge Cake:
- 6 large Eggs
- 1 cup Cake flour
- 1 cup white Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Tiramisu Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 1 (8oz) stick Cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup white Sugar
Coffee Syrup & Topping Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups Strong coffee, room temperature or cold
- 2 tbsps. white Sugar
- 2 tsp Rum (optional)
- 2 tbsps. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder for dusting the finished cake
Instructions for Sponge Cake:
- Preheat the Oven to 350˚F. .
- Butter or spray the 8” pan with oil and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour.
- In a bowl, add the eggs and beat on high speed for 1 min with your stand mixer.
- With the mixer on, gradually add the sugar and continue to beat on the highest speed for 8 min.
- The egg mixture should be thick, pale yellow and tripled in volume.
- Add the vanilla extract and sift the flour into your batter.
- Fold the flour in with a spatula just until all of the flour is incorporated.
- Be careful not to over-mix since you are relying on the fluffiness of the eggs for volume.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool down 10 minutes.
- Then remove the cake from the pan and let it cool down on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is at room temperature, you can cut it in half to make two cake layers then remove the parchment paper.
Instructions for Frosting:
- Beat the Thickened/heavy/whipping cream on high speed until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat softened cream cheese and sugar on medium/high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Use a spatula to fold whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until well blended and refrigerate the frosting until ready to use.
Instruction for Coffee Syrup:
- Mix 1½ cups strong coffee with 2 Tbsp sugar and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Adding rum is optional.
Assembling the Tiramisu Sponge Cake:
- Place one of the cakes on a cake platter.
- Brush half of the coffee syrup over the bottom layer.
- Spread ⅓ of the frosting over the first cake layer.
- Center the second cake layer over the frosting and brush the remaining half of the syrup over the second cake layer.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Pipe little designs all over the top then dust generously with unsweetened coco powder, then your cake is ready to serve.