Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.
The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers.
By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.
Yema cake is a Filipino chiffon cake and it is generally prepared identically to mamón (chiffon cakes and sponge cakes in Filipino cuisine), with the only difference being that it incorporates yema either as frosting, as filling, or as part of the cake batter. On this recipe, I added pecan nuts on the chiffon cake and the custard filling known as yema has an added flavor of Caramel/Dulce de leche.
Caramel Dulce de Leche Yema Cake
Ingredients for the cake:
- 50 grams cake flour
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 large egg whites
- 50 grams Caramel/Dulce de Leche
- 35 grams white sugar
- 35 grams vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 g Crushed Pecan nuts
Instructions for Chiffon Cake:
- In a bowl, sift cake flour.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk a little bit.
- Then add the oil, vanilla extract, caramel/dulce de leche and whisk till well combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites and gradually add the sugar. Keep whisking till it reaches stiff peak.
- Add 1/3 of the meringue into the batter.
- Pour the mixture and fold into the remaining meringue.
- Add the crushed pecan nuts and fold into batter slowly.
- I’m using 6″ swirl silicone mold but you can use any shape and size of the pan you like.
- Bake in preheated oven 175 °C (347°F) for 30 minutes or till golden brown. Time may vary depends on your oven.
- Once the cake is done, take out from the oven and let it cool down.
Ingredients and procedure for Yema frosting:
- 3 large Egg yolks
- 100 ml Thickened/heavy/whipping cream
- 200 g Caramel/Dulce de Leche
- 25 g white sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, whisk egg yolks.
- Add the cream, caramel/dulce de leche, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Mix well and turn the stove on medium-low heat.
- Keep stirring till frosting becomes thick.
- Once the frosting is done, remove from the heat and let it cool down. You can pour the frosting on the cake while it still warm.
- Pour the frosting on top of the cake and sprinkle with grated cheese.
How to make DULCE DE LECHE | No Boiling of Can Needed