Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.
The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers.
By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.
Bread and butter pudding is a traditional type of bread pudding popular in British cuisine. It is made by layering slices of buttered bread scattered with raisins in an oven dish, over which an egg custard mixture, made with milk or cream and normally seasoned with nutmeg, vanilla or other spices, is poured.
Bread & Butter Pudding Recipe
Ingredients & Procedure:
- 3 large Eggs
- 400 g Condensed milk
- 500 ml Fresh milk/Evaporated milk
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Granulated white sugar
- White Bread slices
- Cut the crusts off the bread.
- Cut into half.
- Spread butter onto bread slices. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, add the salt and whisk again.
- Add the condensed milk, mix well.
- Add fresh milk/evaporated milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Strain egg custard mixture. Set aside.
- Grease an ovenproof/oven safe dish/pan with butter.
- Arrange 1st layer of buttered bread slices slightly overlapping each other.
- Add some raisins/sultanas. Do the same with 2nd/3rd layers.
- Pour egg custard mixture evenly over bread slices.
- Leave to soak for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or longer in the fridge (refrigerator).
- Sprinkle granulated white sugar over the mixture.
- Bake at preheated oven 180°C (356°F) for 50 minutes or until golden brown and puffed up.
- Take the pudding out of the oven and let it cool down for at least 10 minutes before serving it.
- Bread & butter pudding can be served warm or cold.
- It becomes more tasty after sitting in the fridge overnight.
- You can dust the top with powdered sugar.
- You can spread some jam/marmalade or serve it with a scoop of ice cream.